A key part of the political machinations of Valentine and Peter Wiggin, using their online personas Locke and Demosthenes, was to manipulate Western fears about how the Second Warsaw Pact would behave if and when the Formics were finally defeated, when the removal of the external threat would end the freeze on Earth's internal politics.
Immediately after the end of the Third Formic War, the Warsaw Pact took action and moved to gain control of the International Fleet and Ender's Jeesh. They were met with resistance, beginning the five-day League War. The war was ended by the signing of the Locke Proposal.
The membership of the Second Warsaw Pact was similar to the original Warsaw Pact of the late 20th century, with both being dominated by Russia.
The text also mentions the borders stretching from the Netherlands to Pakistan.
- "Without firing a shot, Russia was able, simply by promising not to be as dreadful an overlord as China, to rewrite the Warsaw Pact until it was more or less the constitution of an empire that included all of Europe East of Germany, Austria and, Italy in the South, and East of Sweden and Norway in the North."
- — Shadow of the Hegemon, pages 427-428
- "Valentine, things are coming to a head. I've been tracking troop movements in Russia. “What are we talking about?” The world, Val. You know Russia? Big Empire? The Second Warsaw Pact? Rulers of Eurasia from the Netherlands to Pakistan?"
- — Ender's Game, page 125
- "So it was Russia that forced the creation of the New Warsaw Pact, bringing its effective borders back to the peak of Soviet power - and beyond, for this time Greece was its ally, and an intimidated Turkey was neutralized. Europe was on the verge of being neutralized, the Russian dream of hegemony from the Pacific to the Atlantic was at last within reach."
- — Ender's Shadow, page 400