- This article is about the orphan. You may be looking for one of Bean and Petra's daughters.
At the age of nine, Poke became the boss of a street "crew", a group of children that banded together for mutual survival. Her second-in-command and dearest friend was a boy named Sergeant. While on the streets she met Bean, who then had no name. When he asked to join her crew, she stated he "wasn't worth a bean", giving him his lifelong nickname. She took advice from Bean on how to catch a "bully", a larger and older orphan on the streets, and so she decided to have her crew beat up and catch Achilles de Flandres and make him be the crew's "papa", who would in theory protect them. Achilles decided to kill her the minute she knocked him down for making him feel helpless, but bided his time, taking over her crew.
One day Achilles lured Poke off in private, kissed her and then killed her. He stabbed her in the eye and threw her body in the river. Her death haunted Bean for the rest of his life. Both Bean and Sergeant witnessed this, but said nothing. Her body was recovered from the river several days later by police.
- Poke was the first known victim of Achilles de Flandres.
- "I don't get bullies, I get rid of them."
- — Ender's Shadow, page 11
- "You ain't worth a bean."
- — Ender's Shadow, page 13